General packing tips for moving:
- Limit your boxes and cartons to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Wrap items carefully.
- Use crushed newsprint for cushioning.
- Use boxes that can be securely taped shut.
- Pack similar weight items together.
- Label all boxes with your destination room and contents description.
Room by room tips for packing:
- Drain power tools of oil and gas.
- Use old towels to wrap sharp-edged tools
- For grills, dispose of charcoal and, if applicable, disconnect propane tank. Propane tanks cannot be transported in the moving truck.
- Keep hardware for disassembled items in small, plastic bags.
- Wrap china and glasses separately in clean packing paper. Use a large amount of paper padding between items in boxes.
- Pack heavier items such as pots and pans in the bottom of boxes.
- For large appliances such as refrigerators: clean thoroughly and disconnect all hoses. If necessary, have a licensed technician disconnect the appliance (in the case of gas ranges).
- Hanging clothing can be transported in large wardrobe cartons available from us. If wardrobe boxes are not used, fold and pack clothing in suitcases or boxes lined with clean paper.
- Use a large, clean plastic bag for packing linens in boxes. Linens and bedding can be used as cushioning for boxes.
- Mattresses should be packed in mattress bags. Pillows make good padding for other items.
- Mirrors should be packed in special mirror boxes.
- If you like, have your area rugs cleaned before moving. You’ll receive them rolled in a form easy for transport.
- Pack books of the same size together in small boxes only. Do not overload boxes.
- Lamp shades are particularly fragile. Wrap shades with clean paper and place in a box at least two inches large than shade diameter. Label the box “Lamp Shades – Fragile – Top Load Only.”
- For stereo equipment, secure as appropriate for disc players and turntables. Consult your manual.
- Furniture: Your moving professionals will shrink wrap large items such as sofas. Talk to your moving professionals beforehand about leather items. Couch pillows can be packed in large boxes.